Thursday, May 20, 2004

The Rumors of Death have been greatly exaggerated

As I was preparing another ... treat for Coalition Soldiers in Iraq, I noticed that our good friends the p-idealists were back to promoting Heaven on Earth.

Much to my consternation, I went back to the D(PRK)-Bunker and saw a handful of posts - a true exercise in futility. Let's start from the beginning...





It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that electronic voting machines without a paper trail are extremely vulnerable to voter fraud...

Like, say, oh, I don't know, ATM Machines. You know, where the banks keep paper trails of the transactions. Oh wait, they don't? And you're telling me fraud is what?...715 complaints in an entire FY for 260 million people?

I guess those 715 complaints are like the, oh, I don't know, few thousand Florida voters turned out of voting by precalling the State of Florida in Al Gore's column...


Well, apparently it does.
Apparently you were happy with the Florida kerfuffle.

My congressman, Rush Holt, a retired physicist,

Non-sequitur. After all, where the Rockets come down is not his department...
has put fourth HR2239, requiring all electronic voting machines to provide an accountable paper trail. Someone tell me, why has only seven Republicans sponsored this bill???

Because, oh, I don't know, Section 102.b.1. is a subsidy to the companies that will provide new vote counting machines in the amount of 650 million dollars. You are, therefore, trying to bribe the companies who will count the votes by promising them a monopoly on vote-counting solutions. I'm sure you actually read HR2239 (A Resolution?) before you shot off your mouth....

Also there's the part about making the vote-counting software open source. That obviously protects the company's investment (see Section 104.c.i).


maybe
this will help...and this...
and this.

If the kind gentleman could point me to a hacker-proof system, I would be amazed. Seeing as how he has no knowledge of computer security, I will defer to Gene Spafford who said: "

The only system which is truly secure is one which is switched off and unplugged, locked in a titanium lined safe, buried in a concrete bunker, and is surrounded by nerve gas and very highly paid armed guards. Even then, I wouldn't stake my life on it."


I applaud the 133 Democrats who support this bill.

Doctrinally speaking, when do you not applaud for the Democrats? You have more consistency with your Party than Soviet apparatchniks had for their Communist Party. I guess you don't mind seeing as your talking points are stolen shamelessly and without citation from the New York Times.

These are the Republicans who support this bill, and I applaud them for breaking with their party of cheaters:

Cheaters! The whole lot of you! 50% of Americans...all of you are cheaters! SHAME!

Charles Bass, NH; Tom Cole, OK; Thomas Davis, VA; Darrel Issa, CA; Thomas Petri, WI; Christopher Shays, CT; Joe Wilson, SC

Posted by Mahmoud the Weasel at 10:03 PM |

Return home